Out with the old and in with the new, 2018 has been a year of transition settling into a new home and country, a new way of working as a freelance writer, broadcaster and trainer whilst continuing to enjoy international travel (this year I racked up seven countries) and producing food features for radio. All in all, there is so much to reflect on and feel thankful for but one of the things I enjoy the most, the simplest of things, is walking and here in the Serra de Monchique, I can walk the hills and valleys daily. Walking, sometimes walking and talking has allowed ideas to flow, new friendships to be forged and most importantly the exercise has allowed my body and mind to breathe.
“All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche
5 Reasons I love walking
- Walking and breathing in the air clears my mind
- I find walking is a simple way to de-stress, so instead of staying in my chair glued to the computer screen searching for answers to problems or somehow thinking that the longer I sit, the more efficient I will become. Instead, I step out and start walking and very quickly everything feels better and I when I return to the screen I am usually more productive.
- Walking awakens my senses and puts colour in the cheeks!
- I’m building stamina both physically and mentally walking up hills and sometimes mountains!
- Sleep is easier and more satisfying after a good walk.
2018 seen through my walks around Monchique.
Why not include walking every day in your goals for 2019? No matter where you are if its 10 minutes or two hours open your senses, breathe deep and explore the environment around you. I recently took up swimming so I will be adding that to my list of healthy pastimes for 2019 so watch this space for updates, no pictures 😊.
Whatever your choices in 2019, I hope they bring health and happiness and that you enjoy the journey along the way.
Happy New Year!